The 47th President of the USA will be elected in 2016, when Barack Obama leaves the White House. Let’s guess that’s Clinton and she is a one-termer.
If that’s followed by three eight-year Presidents and two one-term Presidents, the 53rd POTUS will be elected in 2052.
By that time Malia Obama, who is seventeen now, will be 53. That’s a very Presidential age. (Her dad was elected at age 47, but the average age for Presidential accession is 54).
Here’s why Malia Obama can be a contender.
1. Her dad will go down in history as the greatest Democratic President since Roosevelt. His progressive achievements – health care, gay marriage, and reversing a giant spike in the unemployment rate – far outweigh those of any other Democrat President in the last 50 years. For impact, they may even outweigh the achievements of Reagan.
2. When Malia Obama is prime presidential age, her father’s presidency will be far enough past to have serious mystique. About half of Americans who will vote in 2052 are minors or unborn now. Meanwhile, the people in positions of power will be the generation in their 20s when Barack Obama was elected, i.e. the people who voted for him and therefore keen to burnish his legacy.
There is precedent for kids who grow up in the white House to have political ambitions. The last young child in the white house was JFK Jr, who was set to enter politics when he died.
3. The Obama daughters look likely to go down the swottish, nerdy path. Their mum is a tiger mum in a way Laura Bush wasn’t. It seems likely an Ivy League university is in their future, and that can’t hurt. (The last seven US presidential elections have seen 12 candidates who went through Harvard and/or Yale and only two who didn’t). One wrinkle in this narrative is that Malia Obama is seemingly trying to get into film and TV. Of course, that and presidential ambition are far from mutually exclusive. (see Reagan, R.)
4. America is reaching its dynastic era. By 2040 that trend may have increased even further. America’s place in the world may well be threatened by China, and these decades of MTV, Nike, Facebook and Apple may be seen as an American golden age. Returning to that may seem very comfortable. Obama, M was literally born on the 4th of July. In an increasingly uncertain world, voting for her may feel a lot like voting for an America that reigns supreme.
(5. All this is assuming they don’t become basketball professionals. Their dad has a pretty decent game. Their mum’s brother is a coach and analyst for ESPN. The Obama kids are tall!)
6. But there are serious reasons (other than basketball) why we should hope M.Obama isn’t running in 2040. America is increasingly a land of inherited opportunity. Barack Obama has pledged his presidency against that trend. If his reforms in the areas taxation and health endure, they should help ensure someone other than the child of privilege can become president.
His daughter’s gainful employment in some less consequential office than the White House would be a sign of his legacy.
8 thoughts on “Four reasons the 53rd President of the United States will be Malia Obama (and one reason we should hope it isn’t).”
Obama wii go down as the worst not the greatest. If you think otherwise you need to move out of the USA.
I might move to Australia! I hear nice things…
Consider it done.
living as a citizen in the USA, by definition, means you do not have to move out of the USA, no matter what your opinion or belief may be, even yours. And as much as I am reviled by your opinion, you have every right to live in the USA and state your opinion. That being said, you are wrong and history will prove it. Obama gently and carefully saved us from a depression that would have rivaled the Great Depression of 1929. He saved the U.S. auto industry, led us toward joining the rest of the world in a belief that health care should be a basic right for all Americans no matter their ability to pay, he worked toward saving this planet, the only one we all have to live on, he brought us out of the dark ages giving all Americans the rights and freedoms that the 1964 Civil Rights Act should have afforded and so many more programs designed to allow the ordinary, average American to flourish in a changing America being controlled more and more by wealth and power of the tiny minority at the top. If you think that makes Obama the worst president in history, I question your values. If you espouse hate for your fellow Americans based on their beliefs and appearance and believe that lies that are spewed on conservative radio, white supremacist groups and on Fox News, I question your intellect. Study history and learn about the truth behind your own beliefs.
Health care for those who cannot afford it aye?? SO LETS GIVE THEM A BIG DAMN FINE CAUSE THEY CAN’T AFFORD HEALTH CARE?? OH WAIT NOW THEY CAN’T EVEN AFFORD TO PAY THE FINE?? LETS FINE THEM AGAIN??? OBAMA CARE IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF GOV’T OVER REACHING AND SCREWING THINGS UP.
Considering Hillary Clinton lost by a landslide and Michelle Obama doesn’t have anything to do with the White House you know Michelle want me to first female president so it’s very doubtful that any of her kids will they might run for Senate or congress but it’s more liable to be one of their husbands that actually runs for office the state of the three girls none of them seem to be interested even in the job
LikeLiked by 1 person
The first female president will be Nikki Hallie the Obama’s will be sent off to small little Island nation
No way looking back on History will any more Obama’s enter the White House. Barack Obama is an epic failure and he and his cabinet will also go down in history as the most manipulative notorious thieves in world history.